In the wake of recent events, and school children continuing their learning at home, many authors, illustrators and education companies are making lots of their resources freely available. These websites are worth visiting regularly for updates connected to free resources, as I’m sure they will be updated as time progresses:
Also, if you are on Facebook, there is a growing group called Family Lockdown Tips and Ideas which looks useful.
Books for Topics: Books about germs featured in this link suitable for young children, which you may wish to buy, plus vast booklists for all primary key stages, which will be updated:
Audible Stories | Audible.com:
https://stories.audible.com/start-listen - free stories for children of all ages. Audible Stories is a free website where children of all ages can listen to hundreds of Audible audio titles across six different languages—English, Spanish, French, German, Japanese and Italian. Although it is free initially, there may be charges in 30 days time so please be aware.
https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/find-a-book/library-page/ - free e-books are available from the Oxford Owl collection, suitable for children aged from 3 to 11 years old.
While children are at home, it is most important that they keep up their reading as much as possible. In these difficult times, authors and illustrators are adding plenty of activities and resources to their websites to help keep children engaged with books.
Supervised, you could suggest that your child searches online for their favourite author e.g.
· Harry Potter: https://harrypotter.bloomsbury.com/uk/ and https://www.wizardingworld.com/
· Roald Dahl: https://www.roalddahl.com/create-and-learn
· Sarah McIntyre: free drawing and craft-based resources for all her picture books on her website: https://www.jabberworks.co.uk/
· Rainbow Magic: https://orchardseriesbooks.co.uk/rainbow-magic/activities-downloads/
· World of David Walliams School Zone: https://www.worldofdavidwalliams.com/schoolzone/
David Walliams has revealed that his latest book, featuring black and white illustrations by Tony Ross, is to be called Slime, and is a “fantastically funny tale” for readers aged 7 and over. It will be published on April 2nd in hardback, e-book and audio.
· Wimpy Kid Club: Play games, enter competitions, watch awesome trailers, learn how to draw cartoons, download quizzes, puzzling crosswords and loads of other cool stuff! https://www.wimpykidclub.co.uk/
· Dav Pilkey: https://pilkey.com/fun-stuff
· Horrid Henry: https://www.horridhenry.co.uk/activities/
· Beast Quest: https://beast-quest.com/
· Tintin: http://en.tintin.com/
· Jacqueline Wilson: https://www.jacquelinewilson.co.uk/index.php
· Michael Morpurgo: https://www.michaelmorpurgo.com/resources/?_sort=date_desc
· Tom Gates: http://lizpichon.com/assets/resources/35-0.Scholastic_TG%20MEGA%20activities_V5-RGB.pdf
· Lego based fun games: https://www.lego.com/en-us/kids
· Beano: https://www.beano.com/
· Ripley’s Believe It or Not!: https://www.ripleys.com/
· Guinness World Records: https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/
This is not an exhaustive list, just based on the most popular books that are currently borrowed, but do please encourage children to explore other authors. For book recommendations, Book Trust is very good: https://www.booktrust.org.uk/books-and-reading/our-recommendations/
Cast of Thousands – a new book recommendation website
How can you find the titles that work for you and your children, from the thousands of children’s books published each year? This website https://www.castofthousands.co.uk/ aims to hand pick those books that are worth exploring further. Each book is presented in the same easy-to-follow format, with a range of ‘talking points’ and activities linked to each. There are also recommendations in Meet the Books, a Blog featuring interviews with authors and illustrators, themed book collections and many other insights into the world of children’s book publishing.
(Source - School Librarian Vol 68(1), Spring 2020)
I will continue to update the Prep Library/ Free Resources folder on Firefly.
Have a restful Easter Holiday and keep well.